Thursday, July 7, 2011

ELF Day 2 Night Quad - Review and Swatches


The ELF Day 2 Night Quad (Can be found here or at various Target locations for $1) is an eyeshadow quad with four neutral, slightly smokey shades. It includes a shimmery gold pearlized off white, a dark, deepened purple with a definite sheen and slight multicolored micro-glitters, a black with a slight silver shimmer and an extremely shimmery medium-light taupe shade. I find that only some of these shadows reach my standards. The shimmery off white and the taupe shade have an obviously different finish yet, are very similar in finish to each other. They are more shimmery, pearlized and are a lot softer to the touch and when applied. I find these are also more pigmented but have a lot of fall out. I find that I need about three or four layers of the taupe shade with a MAC 239 on my lids to reach the opacity I like. These shadows are easy to blend but, I do find that they blend away a little too easily. In terms of the two middle shades (purple and black) I find that they are tougher when swatched on my hands and are a lot harder to blend out when used as a crease color or an outer color shade. These shades are also less pigmented and I find them almost an annoyance to use when I try them out. They do not blend easily enough and the finish when applied to the lid is matte. The black appears more like a darker grey on the lids.  I find that when I used my ELF eyeshadow primer these shadows lasted for about 5 hours without fading. When I used my bare study paintpot from MAC, they lasted slightly longer at about 6 hours. These shadows are some of the cheapest shadows you can find - they are $1 for 4 different shades. I do find that the packaging is slightly flimsy and is made out of a cheap plastic material. The lid seems very flimsy and the given applicator is scratchy. Although they are smaller than most shadows in quads - there is no specific .oz given on the packaging or the website. The taupe shade is lighter than MAC's Satin Taupe and less purple. It is also more pink, and slightly lighter than Wet n' Wild's Nutty.

Product: 4/10
Packaging: 3/10
Value: 6/10
Pigmentation: 3/10


Final Thoughts:  The two purple and black shades bring down both the pigmentation and product severely. If i simply judged the outer two shades, I would've given the product a 5/10. This is definitely my favorite option and I do not reach for this quad daily - unless I'm looking for these particular shades. If you are looking for some below average yet, overall okay eyeshadow quads for a good price, try these.

(more photos and ingredients after the jump)



Ingredients: Talc, Mica, Zinc Stearate, Kaolin, Paraffinium Liquidu(Mineral Oil), Petrolatum, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, MethylParaben, Propylparaben, Iron Oxides (CI 77491 , CI 77492 , CI 77499), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Yellow No.5 Lake (CI 19140), Red No.40 Lake (CI 16035), Ultramarine Violet (CI 77077), Blue No.1 Lake (CI 42090)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

  © Bloggertemplates The White Dove by wordpress photography themes | pagerank updates 2011